How can I naturally induce labor? Your ankles are swollen, your hemorrhoids are throbbing, and you feel like the L.A. Lakers are stomping on your ribs. Sounds like you are overdue! What do you do when you are at or over 40 weeks and you want to naturally induce labor?
There are some things you can do to naturally induce labor. Please note that these are not proven methods and may not work at all. At this point, we’re sure you’re willing to try anything to naturally induce labor , are we right?
- Exercise – at this stage, walking is your best bet
- Have Sex - semen contains prostaglandins which helps to dilate and efface the cervix. Orgasm causes the uterus to contract.
- Have your Doctor Strip the Membranes
- Herbs – midwives sometime recommend Evening Primrose Oil placed directly on the cervix to aid in dilation. Use only as directed from your doctor.
- Nipple stimulation – nipple stimulation tricks your body into thinking your nursing to naturally induce labor contractions. Stimulating the nipples releases the oxytocin hormone, which contracts the uterus. This can be done by placing the nipple between the thumb and forefinger and rolling it for 10 to 20 minutes at a time every couple of hours.
Only try these methods to naturally induce labor under the advice and direction of your doctor or midwife. It’s hard to be patient at this point in your pregnancy, but it will be worth it. Until then, try to distract yourself by working, exercising, cleaning and organizing, taking up a hobby, or talking with friends. You will be holding your baby in your arms sooner than you think.
Find out how your baby is developing every week. Sign up for our FREE Weekly Fetal Development Newsletter. Click here!
Can I be Induced?
Labor & Delivery: What to Expect
What to Bring to The Hospital