Search
 
SmartMomma  
  SmartMomma HomeChannels - Preconception, Pregnancy, Baby, Toddler, and MoreSmartMomma Baby & Pregnancy CommunitySubscribe to Our Infant Development & Pregnancy NewslettersShop SmartMomma Baby & Pregnancy!
 
  Due Date Calculator - Early Pregnancy Symptoms Pregnancy - Fetal Development 35 weeks
 
Fetal Development: 35 Weeks


35 Weeks - Pregnancy

Baby

Next week, after week 35 of pregnancy, your baby will be considered full term. The average baby weighs about five and a half pounds now and measures about 18-20 inches long. Most babies born at this time will survive and without any long-term problems. The bun is almost done!

This 35th week of pregnancy, your baby is going to be concentrating on weight gain, to fill out his arms and legs into those plump little limbs we all know and love on babies. Besides looking cute, the layers of fat will also help regulate his body temperature.

You may feel less kicking and more twisting and wriggling, as he is running out of room to move around in there. He may have turned to the head down position in preparation for delivery. Your little one is now sleeping through regular periods of REM and deep sleep at week 35. He is also experiencing active and quiet wakefulness where he continues to explore the environment around him. Pretty soon, he’ll be a newborn! Have you been practicing “Goodnight Moon”? Your baby’s hearing is fully developed and he is ready for a good story and a song.

Mom

Are those feet jammed in your ribs? Now that the baby has turned, you may feel some kicks and pokes in the ribs, along with a head pressed against your cervix as he stretches. The weight of him, along with the hormone relaxin, may be causing you to waddle as you walk. Relaxin causes your joints to relax during pregnancy, 35 weeks, and beyond, so that your pelvis can widen to allow for easier delivery.

Are you prepared for your delivery? If you haven’t done so already, now may be a good time to pack your hospital bags. Take one for labor and one for postpartum. Check out our article on What to Bring to the Hospital for suggestions.

Between 35 weeks and 37 weeks of pregnancy, your healthcare provider will do a vaginal culture to check for bacteria called Group B streptococci (GBS). This won’t be painful, just a quick swab. GBS is usually NOT harmful in adults, but if you have it, it can be passed on to your baby, causing infections like pneumonia, meningitis, or a blood infection. Since 10 to 30 percent of pregnant women have the bacteria, you should be screened. If you do happen to have it, you’ll be given IV antibiotics during labor, which will reduce your baby’s chances of contracting the bacteria by 70%.

If you are a first-time mom, there is a good chance your baby will stay in utero from week 35 of pregnancy until 40 weeks and beyond. Many first babies are late. To stay calm and alleviate your pain, take up prenatal yoga. Yoga gives you a sense of wellness, physically and spiritually. Prenatal yoga allows you to concentrate on the challenges of pregnancy by improving and strengthening stomach muscles, your spine, back muscles and the pelvic area – to inhibit a more ideal birthing experience.

It’s also not too late to practice those Kegel exercises as well. Doing regular Kegels during pregnancy will strengthen the pelvic floor in preparation for delivery. Practicing Kegels will also decrease your likeliness to tear, thereby decreasing your chances of needing an episiotomy. Another benefit of Kegel exercises is that it prevents some urine leakage, which can sometimes happen in late pregnancy.

Do you want to be caught up on all the latest happenings with your pregnancy and your baby? Join SmartMomma Advantage for free! You'll receive your choice of e-mail newsletters, from weekly fetal development updates to sales alerts and the latest pregnancy, baby, and toddler news. Stay up to date with the SmartMomma advantage! Join today!

RELATED ARTICLES - PREGNANCY 35 WEEKS

Fetal Development: By Month
Fetal Development: 8 Months
Fetal Development: 9 Months

RELATED PRODUCTS - PREGNANCY 35 WEEKS

SmartMomma Baby Gear

PLEASE NOTE

This should be used as a general guideline and is for general information and educational purposes only. Please remember that all pregnancies develop at different rates. If you have questions about your baby's development, please contact your doctor or midwife.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pregnancy 35 Weeks  
   

 

 

 

 
   
 
   
  Shop SmartMomma Baby & Maternity  
 
Shop SmartMomma Baby & Maternity Shop SmartMomma Baby & Maternity
 
   
All Pregnancy Articles
Health And Nutrition
During pregnancy, your body needs your full attention, as your baby grows and your hormones go a bit crazy. SmartMomma is here to help you with some health and nutrition advice of our own.
Labor And Delivery
After many months of pregnancy, the big day finally arrives, whether you're ready or not. Be ready for baby's entrance into the world by reading up on what you may encounter on the best day of your life. Think happy thoughts!
Planning For Baby
One of the most exciting parts of pregnancy is planning for your baby's arrival. Check out SmartMomma's recommendations on baby gear, not to mention our Nursery Planner for the arrival of your little bundle. It's never too early to start planning your nursery!
Pregnancy Effects
What effects can pregnancy have on your body? From stretch marks to leaking breasts, SmartMomma uncovers the reality of pregnancy, along with the joys of feeling your baby's first movements. Discover the answers to your questions about all of the new and "interesting" things happening to your body during pregnancy.
Pregnancy Stages
Is your baby kicking yet, or just fluttering? When does he have his fingers and toes? How big is he now? Find out the answers to these questions and check out the stages of pregnancy with our Fetal Development tool.
Prenatal Fitness
The best way to prepare for the marathon of labor and to get your figure back quickly postpartum is by keeping up a fitness routine while pregnant. Ask your doctor what level of fitness is appropriate for you. The most popular methods of staying fit for pregnancy is walking and prenatal yoga.
Relationships
Pregnancy can put your relationships in a vulnerable state, as your daily activities will most likely change, along with your waistline and your emotions. This can put a strain on your relationship with your partner or spouse, as well as your relationship with others. Just remember, that you are a strong, beautiful woman, deserving of the best in life. Don't forget to remind your partner of this too!
 
 
   
         
   
   
         
   
Home About UsOur Friends Join For Free UnsubscribeAll Articles Contact Us
Terms of UsePrivacy PolicyAdvertisingPress MaterialsLogin to Update Membership
©2007 Smart Momma. All rights reserved.